Sunday, September 22, 2019

Almost to Norway

Four days until I fly from Columbus to Dulles to meet my friend, Betty and then on to Copenhagen before finally landing in Bergen. We'll be at an AirBnB in Bergen on Strandgaten (I'm getting a little bit good at these Norwegian names...) which is conveniently located somewhat near the light rail station, "Bybanen." I spent several hours yesterday organizing the information for getting from Point A to Point B.  I think I'm ready.

Bergen, apparently, is an extremely rainy city. (I didn't know that before I started following the weather in Bergen, Bodo and Kirkenes, mostly to see how cold it was or would be.) But fortunately, several days before we arrive the sun is scheduled to make an appearance. For how long is anybody's guess.

I'm trying to be prepared for all kinds of weather with many different layers - parka, fleece, raincoat, vest, etc. We'll see...

Our trip is about 17 days with time in Bergen on either side of the cruise portion. We're taking a Hurtigruten ferry/cruise ship from Bergen to Kirkenes and then back again hoping to explore a lot of Norway and also see the Northern Lights. The cruise is not a typical one as some passengers will be cruising, so to speak, and others will be hopping on and off the ferry to get to one of the many smaller towns. It reminds me a bit of the ferry system in Alaska, aka the Alaska Marine Highway. I think it might be a step up from that, but maybe not too many steps!

Stay tuned. I hope to be faithful with the writing of this blog, but I may get sidetracked by magnificent views or salmon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara,
    Enjoy your trip. Hope you get to see the Northern Lights and that you post some images! ENJOY. Safe travels.
    Paula Curran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to follow your journey and learn from your travels!


    ReplyDelete