Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Northern Lights - Again!

I had returned to my cabin to take a shower before dinner when over the intercom came the announcement that the Northern Lights were visible on the port side. I grabbed warm clothes and rushed upstairs grateful that I had heard the announcement. (Although Betty had texted me, in case I hadn’t heard.)

To say that the Northern Lights were visible is the most understated statement of the trip! We were treated to at least an hour of them dancing across the sky. We have been very fortunate that the weather has been clear and sunny during the day and while we were north and south of Tromso, a prime viewing area.

We had the opportunity to see the lights switch and change as they pranced all over the sky. We saw them curl and straighten. Interestingly, they are not green until viewed in a photograph. They appear to be white like a brighter Milky Way. I don’t know if they are always like this or if it is indeed possible to view them in colors with the naked eye.

So, I just kept pointing my phone at the sky and clicked away, hoping for some great shots. The app I’m using, NorthernLights, takes 5-8 pictures - snap, snap, snap - and then must compile them into one photograph. I think that’s why they are not as clear as a regular camera shot. But the colors are so dramatic that I’m thrilled.





No comments:

Post a Comment