Thursday, October 12, 2023

Kunsthaus Part 2

 Here are some interesting installations at the Kunsthaus:

I always associated David Smith with those tall stainless steel sculptures. Maybe this is an earlier work?

Chamberlain is best know for creating sculptures of old automobile parts.

Olafur Eliasson is the artist who did the passageway between the two buildings. I see he named it "Your submerged spectator." (Translated)


The artist below decided to paint this piece upside down. It has been likened to the Last Supper. But the middle person looks like he's from an Edvard Munch painting of The Scream.

The Kunsthaus has the largest collection of Edvard Munch outside of Scandinavia. The one below is of the then director of the Kunsthaus, Wilhelm Wartmann. The audio guide said that his standing and 3/4 view suggests his status; his crossed legs indicate that he’s relaxed.


I liked this explanation of an installation:

 The Moser Building has huge spaces for very large installations such as this one by Bruce Nauman. In the audio guide Nauman explained what drives him creatively: "I’m searching for an art that leads to new limits. In this way, you’re forced to a heightened consciousness of yourself and the situation. Often, in fact, without knowing what it actually is that you’re encountering here or what you’re experiencing. All you know is that you’ve stumbled on a place that is completely unfamiliar to you and this causes fear."

I can't relate to the fear part, but I can relate to art that attempts to reach new limits. I think that's what I appreciate most about art - that I'll see something that is completely different and touches me in a new way.




No comments:

Post a Comment