Monday, October 9, 2023

St. Andrew's, Lunch and St. Peter's Clock Tower

I was so happy to find St. Andrew's church in Zurich that had an English service. It was terrific to hear English spoken after all these days of German, Italian, and French. Plus, I have really missed going to church.

On the way I saw this Swiss version of a lemonade stand. They were selling coffee and cakes. I had had enough coffee in the morning, so I smiled and gave them a thumbs up. As I was climbing the steps to the church, one the children ran over to me saying something in German. I thanked her (I know how to do that) and then said, "Church" and pointed. After church, they were still there waiting for customers.

The church was on a very narrow street, and the entrance was up a tall stairway behind the church.



This was Environmental Sunday which made it even more interesting as all of the readings, commentary, sermon had to do with helping/saving the environment.

As I left church, I passed this bar with bike lock ups - you just need a lock, no carrying of heavy cables.

Next, I found a walkway that went up a hill. At the top, I was treated to this view over Zurich:


In Neumarket, I finally found a very nice restaurant that had English translations on the menu. But when I asked for some clarification, the waitress said, "It is what it is." Maybe I needed too much clarification, but since things in Switzerland are often not what I think they will be, I wanted some help.

Nevertheless, I noticed meatloaf on the menu and thought that would be tasty. I immediately imagined the meatloaf at the Dublin Tavern in Ohio, so I asked for a table and ordered it. 

I quickly learned that meatloaf in Switzerland is actually a hot dog (meat) pattie (loaf):

Regardless, it was very tasty with the spicy mustard and the roasted potatoes. The bread was also very good. And for dessert, I ordered dark cherry sorbet:

Next, it was onward to St. Peter's Church. For centuries, St. Peter's clock tower was Zürich's "official local time," and all public city clocks had to conform to it. The church clock of St. Peter has the largest tower clock face in Europe. The outer diameter of each of the four church clocks on the tower measures 28.3 ft, the minute hand is18.8 ft, the hour hand is 16.6 ft, and the minute crack of the large pointer measures 1.5 ft.


This church is one of the reformed churches, so the inside was quite bare.

This sign was on the church door. I think the translations is, "Open. Push Firmly!"




1 comment:

  1. That meat loaf actually looks delicious:)
    Funny that the waitress would know that phrase "It is what it is". But I guess it was what it was! ha

    ReplyDelete