Saturday, September 10, 2022

Bonjour Quebec!

 All worked out well yesterday with the flights, luggage, and hotel. I'm a bit out of practice with arriving in a new city alone, so after checking in, I decided to walk down a very steep hill because I thought that's where I would start. 

 That was NOT where to start - just a long, busy street. (I should have asked the hotel for a map, more information, etc.) Hiked back up and thought I'd wander around the hotel vicinity. I turned a corner and there was Rue Saint-Jean: a cobblestoned street in the Old City and filled with restaurants offering outside dining. Just what I was looking for. On top of that, the restaurant I chose, Chez Boulay, was actually connected to the hotel through a long corridor I found when I asked where the restrooms were.

Only one table left outside - a table for four. They almost didn't seat me - one person taking up a table for four isn't good business. I asked them to split the table, they did, and I had finally found my happy spot after a long day of traveling.

These flags are right outside the hotel. If you look carefully, you can see the sign for Boulay which I should have noticed. The tall building in the distance is Chateau Frontenac. (Edited Saturday afternoon: Actually, it isn't! It's the Édifice Price building which is the tallest building in the Old Quebec historical district and one of the oldest skyscrapers in Quebec. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89difice_Price)

This is the way Rue Saint-Jean looked when I arrived,

I love this bread server.
My dinner of cod, zuchini and clams. The green sauce is "zucchini milk" Philip, the waiter told me. It had a subtle zucchini taste which complimented the dish.
Rue Saint-Jean at twilight. 
 
PS - I was going to wander a bit more before turning in for the night, but then rejected that idea. So I returned to my room, grabbed my bathing suit and headed for the pool. Had a rejuvenating swim before saying Bonsoir to my first night in Quebec. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the European look of the city. I think that that bread holder is actually meant to hold letters:) ....but why not bread? Clever. It's good to see that people are still in shorts and t-shirts. It mustn't be too cold out yet. And you've got beautiful weather for the start of your trip. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do, too. I think you're right about the bread holder, but a cool additional use. It was very warm this afternoon - close to 80. I'm hoping it cools off. But lovely that it's not rainy.

    ReplyDelete