Sunday, October 1, 2023

Exploring Lucarno

 This morning, after breakfast, we took a walking tour of the old town of Lucarno. 

Along the way, I spotted this very clever action figure outside an outdoor apparel store: 

 

Afterwards, I explored the amazing Museo Casa Rusca which had two exhibits I enjoyed - one by Martin Soto Climent and the other by Una Szeeman. 

Martin Soto Climent used "tights" or as we call them, pantyhose, to create a painting. It was extremely creative - so much so that I didn't realize they were pantyhose until I scanned the QR code for English and read about the artist. 

Apparently, this is one of his most important bodies of work - The Tights on Canvas series (2004–). They feature nylon tights in "an effort to take the discourse of expanded painting in a new direction."

This one was in the courtyard, and I thought it was simply black fabric strung between the levels of the museum.

Then later as I examined the pieces, I realized he was working with panty hose.











The above are by Swiss artist, Una Szeemann whose works are closely associated with the human body. Capillomancie (2012), for example, is based on the artist’s own hair: the series of photographs shows distinctive random aggregations of hairs that stuck to bathroom tiles.

I was drawn more to these works of Una's:




 And finally, a telephone booth repurposed as a Little Library:


1 comment: