Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Beach Day and... Camels!

I decided this would be a zero day since I felt like I’ve been zooming all over Dubai and Sharjah. I took care of laundry, grocery shopping and blogging this morning. Then after lunch, I headed for the beach. It’s an elevator ride down to the beach level and then a short walk across the promenade. I had been there the day after I arrived, but hadn’t been there since.

Thank goodness I took the time this afternoon. I really enjoyed relaxing, swimming, walking along the beach and looking for shells. There is a lot of coral here and also a variety of colorful small scallop shells.

I had a fun conversation with Julia, a guidance counselor visiting from London who was vacationing with her husband and two sons. We discussed education, society, the US political scene and motherhood.  It was one of the highlights of the day.

The other highlight was when a woman in front of me pointed down the beach to her husband. I followed her direction and there, coming right toward me were two camels - a driver on one and a  passenger on the other!


My feet in the Arabian Gulf .

The many shells/stones in the Arabian Gulf. Very little current here. Gentle lapping on the shore.










Very unusual to see skyscrapers so close to the beach.

The Dubai “Eye” is just across the water.

The Jumeriah Beach Residence Towers. My AirBnB is in Rimal Tower 4.



Behind me is a fancy water playground for the children. Everyone had on life vests. Further down  the beach, there are wave runners, some sort of giant fountain that you can ski on, and other people were parasailing.

These lounges and umbrellas could be rented for the day, but there were also comfortable chairs all over the beach that were free to sit on.


1 comment:

  1. Again, your photos are amazing! Love the juxtaposition of the city scape and the beach landscape. Where else do you have such a big discrepancy in one eyefull? Love the camel pictures as well. So glad you were able to take the day to relax. Seems like the perfect vacation where you can play tourist and explore, then relax on the beach!

    ReplyDelete