Sunday, February 23, 2020

Dubai Metro and Tram

Since I’ve been on the metro and tram most days, I thought I’d post some photos. I think I posted about the Ladies Car which is the best place to sit as it is not as crowded as the regular cars.

On the ferry, they had an informational video about the metro which I found interesting. It's all electric and was built so that areas that were less accessible would be more accessible via public transportation. Trains arrive every 2-5 minutes. Payment is with a ticket or a NOL card on which you can put money and can be topped off. (My choice - faster and way easier. Also able to be used in cabs since they are under the heading of RTA - Roads and Transport Authority.) You much “check in” on a machine - like the NYC subway as your enter and then must “check out” when you leave. Yesterday was the first time I saw security on the train asking everyone for their ticket/card. He had a device which scanned the tickets.

Many, many times - probably almost all my trips, someone stood up for me so I could have their seat. There is very much a sense of hospitality and respect for elders here. The metro/tram is clean (no eating or gum chewing), on time, air conditioned and comfortable. Once I figured it out - which direction to head based uptown the final station, how to switch from red line to green line, etc. it was a pleasure and faster/cheaper than a cab.

The tram was a little trickier since the station closest to the apartment involved switching platforms, but once I figured it out (about 2 days ago... I was still learning easier ways to access the tram line that went to JBR) it was a short walk from the AirBnB to the station.

Tram seating.


Interior of a metro station with turnstiles to enter.

Picture of Burj Khalifa as taken from the metro.

Metro platform.

Inside of tram car.


Another view of metro platform.

Exiting the metro.

My NOL card.


No comments:

Post a Comment