Sunday, September 15, 2024

The National Gallery

I was meeting Holly's daughter, Laura, at the Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martin's Church for a late lunch, so I arrived early to scout out the location. Fortunately, The National Gallery was across the street, just north of Trafalgar Square. 

The National Gallery has some of the same stunning architecture as a few other museums. 

A few of the recommended must-see pieces and some of my favorites:

The Cartoon hung in a very dimly lit room to preserve it.


It really looked like a stone frieze.

 
It can't be The National Gallery without Turners!

I loved the raging seas and the light/dark contrast in this painting. 
 

Whistlejacket looks like he might gallop out of the frame.


This one is for Paula! It reminded me of the wonderful time we spent there.

 This painting was immense. It took up most of one wall.

Years ago, I saw the musical, Sunday in the Park with George, which was inspired by the French pointillist painter, Georges Seurat's painting, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. His work is exceptional and dynamic. I love how pointillism brings his images to life.

We had a delicious lunch and great conversation in the Cafe in the Crypt. 











No comments:

Post a Comment