Thursday, October 3, 2019

Arctic Circle

The reminder that we were soon to be passing the Arctic Circle came through the intercom just as I was getting organized for some coffee at abut 7:30 AM. I grabbed my jacket and rushed upstairs to deck 7. Feeling the rush of colder air due to the lack of the jet stream current, I just as quickly rushed back down to deck 6 to get my binoculars, hat and scarf.

The weather is sunny and calm. We were awaiting a peek at a small island with a metal sphere on a tripod of sorts which indicates the Arctic Circle. There was champagne available for those who wanted to toast this momentous moment. I opted for coffee - warm and sweet.

All too soon, we passed the island and the sphere. I was very happy I had’t missed it. At 10:30 today there is a ceremony and we will learn who guessed correctly the time of the actual crossing of the line. I’m out of the competition as I guessed 7:25 AM - even before the announcement came through.







3 comments:

  1. That is so incredibly cool!!!!! I wouldn't have imagined that - a small island with a sphere to signify the Arctic Circle. So neat to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos!! Unfortunately, we crossed in the middle of the night but we were given a certificate. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Thank you for sharing your pictures and experience, Barb! I've always wanted to see the Arctic Circle!

    ReplyDelete