Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Al Serkal Avenue Art Galleries

My last activity of the day was to explore Al Serkal Avenue. The guide at the Women's Museum said it was an area filled with art galleries. She was right.

But, it took a little doing to get there. I took two metros and got off at Noor Bank thinking I could walk there. When will I learn that distances are actually very far from what they appear to be on Google? Plus, the area was quite industrial with huge warehouses, perfect for art but not conducive to an afternoon stroll. Fortunately, cabs are always close by, and soon I was there.

The art was terrific and very unusual. Some of the galleries are located in New York and have a Dubai branch, reminding me of the intricate connections capable in the 21st century.

There were a number of cafes, and I stopped in one for a tomato, basil and cheese croissant. Just what I needed to recharge.



This collage is by Melis Buyruk. The guide told me the artist had been encouraged to try “filling the space” in her collage. It’s all done in white ceramic and consists of individual pieces organized within a frame. I was drawn to the pig...


This piece by Reza Derakshani  appeared to be a lump of carpet plopped in a disorganized manner on the floor. It’s actually made of wood and meticulously executed.

This stall was part of a very large shop selling different kinds of crafts from jewelry to clothing. This spot sold handmade soap.





1 comment:

  1. The collage is so beautiful and reminds me a little bit of Sailor's Valentines.
    It looks like it is made of shells and found objects, but maybe the artist sculpted the pieces. Love it!

    ReplyDelete