Saturday, February 22, 2020

Desert Experience - Rest Stop and Dune Bashing

We had bought tickets for a “Desert Experience” which included a pick up in Dubai, dune bashing (??), dune surfing, transportation to the desert camp, Al Khayma, a camel ride, buffet dinner and entertainment. It was to be a 6-7 hours excursion.

Syed, our driver, picked us up at JBR, and we were off. Four others were in our group - Julie and her 6 yo daughter from Denmark who were living in Ghana and a Lebanese couple on their honeymoon - Jackson and Lara. The trip into the desert took about 45 minutes before we stopped at a rustic market square with bathrooms and several markets selling the usual array of scarves and snacks. It reminded me a little of Africa.

From the market, we traveled in a caravan before stopping to deflate the tires to 15 psi. Then we were off! It was quite a roller coaster-like activity and initally, I gripped the bar beside the window and the underneath of the seat, my eyes sealed shut. But soon, I was able to open them and "enjoy" the beautiful red dunes that are always changing. The Toyota Land Cruiser was smooth, and Syed was a skilled driver. I'm not much for roller coasters and the like, but it was a fun adventure.

We stopped at the crest of a giant dune for photos and also to try dune surfing. When it was my turn, I decided to sit and also put my feet/legs out to the side like when I did on the luge years ago in Lake Placid. The ride was down a very steep dune and at the end, I did put my feet on the board which made it more fun. The walk up was quite a hike – very steep and hard to do. As steep as a ski hill which might take five minutes (seemingly) to ski down. 7/8 from the top, Jackson came down and extended his hand to help me up the rest of the way. That was a huge help.



Soon I was ready to try again and have my feet on the board. I told Syed not to push me, sat down on the board, placed my feet in front of me on the board and away I went. It was a lot of fun, a little scary at the very end with so much speed, but very exhilarating.



Syed was terrific. He had the habit of calling me Ma-Ma! And also Granny. I wasn’t offended. I know foreigners will often refer to elders as Auntie, Mam, etc.

Jackson and Lara both "surfed" on sand boards and that also looked like fun.

We soon left and headed for a highway to enter the desert from a different area. The caravan stopped and the drivers all inflated the tires to 30 psi. They used an automatic air machine connected to the battery of the car for inflation.

Shortly thereafter, we arrived at the camp.










No comments:

Post a Comment