Monday, February 17, 2020

Chicken BBQ and the Dubai Heritage Museum

I took the red line metro to Burjuman where I transferred to the green line and exited at Al Ghubaiba. The area around this station was beautiful with many gardens and older buildings.

I had gotten a later start, so I was starving (as usual), and found an eatery on the wharf featuring chicken BBQ between 11-2PM. The meal came with a salad, naan, a selection of hummus and relish. All very tasty.

Next, I headed to the Perfume Museum. This featured an explanation of oud which is a source of scent. Also, many women make their own perfumes by grinding herbs and petals. Then they sift it several times through a head scarf until it is a fine powder. This is applied to their skin. The use of scents, including incense, is a large part of hospitality here. A guide helped me find the Heritage Museum and explained that incense often starts an occasion and then signals the end. I also noticed the use of incense at the tea room where I had lunch.

The Heritage Museum offered great exhibits and explanations about the Emirati way of life.


Chicken BBQ from Grill, Greet, Eat, Repeat.


 Incense burning in one of the displays in the Perfume Museum.

Metro station
Historical area/architecture around the metro/wharf area.


This video showed a majlis, and people enjoying this tradition.

 

These are examples of medkhans - see below for explanation.







A giant piece of oud.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful experience! How fortunate you are to be there and experience a different culture!

    ReplyDelete