Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Sheikh Mohammed Center for Cultural Understanding

This morning, I finally mastered the tram and metro. It turns out that I had mistakenly tried to find the connection between the two at the wrong stop... Looking at the map again, I realized I could walk right to the tram stop and then connect to the metro. Yes!

On the way, I was able to get my first peek at Burj Khalifa, the tallest skyscraper in the world. Very impressive if only from the metro.

My first stop after about a 30 minute ride was the Sheikh Mohammed Center for Cultural Understanding. I arrived 30 minutes early as was suggested, and was treated to a buffet of delicacies which constituted my lunch. The lugaimat was especially tasty as were the dates. I returned for more. (Full disclosure: not just seconds but thirds.) The chabab was interesting, a bit like crepes, with white cheese sauce to put on top, but it was the lugaimat which really appealed to me.

Soon, a man passed through holding a falcon. I quickly jumped up to have a turn with the bird. Very cool. Apparently, the Bedouins use them a lot for hunting prey. The sport of falconry is very much a part of the culture.







Burj Khalifa on the left



1 comment:

  1. Look at you with a falcon!! Is that something over his eyes so that he does not think you are prey? Falconry is so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete