Monday, February 10, 2020

Dubai Museum

Today I took a taxi to the closest metro station to the apartment. I’m realizing that I’m using up a lot of time and energy trying to walk to the metro stations. The maps are tricky to figure out, and distances are often way further than they appear.

I took the metro to BurJuman which appeared close to the Dubai Museum. The museum was a great introduction to Dubai and Arabian life. The Al Fahidi Fort is on the same grounds and showed examples of the wind towers  used  to cool the buildings before air conditioning.

Inside the museum there were many life-like mannequins depicting various traditional shops. In fact at one, I saw a woman holding some cloth and wondered why she hadn’t read the signs that emphatically forbid touching the exhibits. As I eased closer, I realized she was a mannequin!

Lots of great information about architecture, falconry, Islam and wind towers to name a few.

Spice shop

Socializing
A dhow outside of the museum


Dubai metro station





4 comments:

  1. it is very difficult to rich the Dubai museum from the Airport. That is what I have heard till date. I have come across many blogs and articles that praise the beauty of ancient artifacts available there in the Dubai museum. I am an artist and have participated in the Art Dubai 2021, therefore I am combining the list of places I need to visit in Dubai during my trip because I don’t know when I will visit Dubai again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taxis in Dubai are very inexpensive, so getting there wouldn't be super pricey. Additionally, you probably could take the Metro from the airport to the historical area. I also highly recommend the Islamic Cultural Center in Sharjah. You can take the Dubai ferry there from the Creek and then a cab from there. Also, don't miss the Al Serkal art district. Amazing galleries and all kinds of interesting art. Get a good guide book, too. That helped me tremendously.

      Delete
  2. Excellent post! Your blog about the Dubai Museum and the historical attractions of Dubai have piqued my interest. I would love to apply for a Dubai Visa and explore these amazing tourist places with my lovely wife. We never visited Dubai so we will plan our Dubai getaway in such a way that we enjoy it to the maximum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Dubai is an amazing and interesting city. The historical areas and museums are not to be missed. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete