Saturday, March 25, 2023

Early wandering, lunch and the Campanile di San Marco

After coffee, we decided to explore the city in the early morning. It was a beautiful time without all the people. We hope to repeat this again. (If we're up early enough...)



                             Cafe Florian before it opens.

                        I liked this modern pay phone. But I wondered who would use it?

Later, we stopped for an early lunch. I ordered eggplant parmesan with two small pizzas. Paula got a larger pizza.
The small pizzas which were fried on the bottom - delicious.
The eggplant parmesan was one of the best meals I've had on this trip.

Inside the campanile, I watched the floor indicator light move as we went to the top. 


 Some of the bells.

These photos above are of a very narrow set of steps up to the top of the bells off limits by this filigreed enclosure/gate.

 

                                                          The elevator cords.


             There is a tiny ladder on the front of the closest dome. What is it for?

                                On the right is the island of San Giorgio Maggiore where the Vatican Chapels were permanently erected for the 2018 Venice Biennalle. Giudecca is on the right.



1 comment:

  1. I'm learning things! I looked up Monet's paintings of the island of San Giorgio Maggiore and I swear my grandparents had a reproduction image in the livingroom when I was growing up. I don't think it was Monet's but I recognized the iconic buildings and boats. I never knew what that painting signified (and had never even thought about it before seeing your photos).

    ReplyDelete