Wednesday, March 15, 2023

The Acropolis

 I opted for the walk up to the top of the Acropolis since the Acropolis Museum was mobbed with school groups. Before I started, I bought a koulouri - a bread ring covered with sunflower seeds that's been around (apparently) since ancient times.

                    My koulouri was whole grain and covered with sunflower seeds. 

 

The path to the Acropolis was winding and steep. Many paths had shiny marble stones - quite slippery.
That's where I'm headed - right to the top. The map below was very helpful in following the paths.


 
First stop was the Odeion of Herodes Atticus.


Second stop - Old Temple of Athena
The Acropolis
This picture shows the areas that have been reconstructed. 
 

 
The Pandroseion
A sacred olive tree was enclosed inside the Pandrosos. This tree was planted at the beginning of the 20th century to honor the original one. 









1 comment:

  1. It's hard to imagine what it must be like to be standing looking at that! The history is mind boggling! And I bet your legs got a great workout

    ReplyDelete