Thursday, March 16, 2023

The Plaka to Tower of the Winds, the Roman Agora and Hadrian's Library

After the Acropolis, I made my way (using the maps app) to the Plaka, a maze of many short streets near the Central Market. There I found the Tower of the Winds.


Next was the Roman Agora - the public square built during the Roman period. It was one of the main meeting points in the city, and the central market was situated there. The space is now used as a farmer's market. I bought a banana and an apple :)

                          More ancient ruins of the Agora.

Nearby, I found Hadrian's Library, created by Roman Emperor Hadrian in AD 132. The Library had three stories for books as well as reading rooms, teaching rooms, porticoes for philosophical walks, gardens and a pond for recreation.

Finally, it was time to try out that Hop on/Hop off bus ticket. Unfortunately, the blue bus I had used yesterday was nowhere to be found. I asked the driver of a yellow bus if I could take that bus, but he said no, try the red bus behind me. So I hopped on that, hoping it would take me to the Archeology Museum. It did!


1 comment:

  1. Wild to see the contrast of the ruins amongst the more modern buildings around them....

    ReplyDelete