Monday, March 13, 2023

Electricity and a Greek Breakfast

Electricity is a little tricky in Athens, or maybe I'm rusty from 3 years of non-travel. The electricity in the room is controlled by the room key card. You insert the key into the slot, and the electricity is turned on. Easy, right? Except that yesterday - functioning under the fog of exhaustion - I inserted the key and then took it out. The electricity lasted about 30 seconds. The front desk clued me into the fact that the room key card has to STAY in the slot. Which means, once you leave, the refrigerator ceases to work. 

 Last night I had a delicious dinner of grilled bream and vegetables. The portion was huge, so I elected to bring the rest back to the hotel. After coffee this morning, I started to get hungry and knew that once I left for the day's exploration I would have no more electricity = fish off refrigeration. So, I enjoyed my "fish sandwich" for breakfast very much.

Here's last night's bread with a small ramkin of what the waiter called "paste," a mixture of yogurt and spices.

               This dessert of yogurt and honey was complimentary and very delicious.

                     My Greek breakfast, aka a fish sandwich with one bite taken out.
View of my balcony this morning. I had hoped to enjoy coffee out there but it is only in the fifties. Maybe next week.
The nefarious electricity-controlled key card. I think it's a great idea to conserve energy but what about last night's bream?

A lot of the museums are closed on Tuesday, so I had to revise my plan to use the Hop on/off bus to get to them. I can still see the Museum of Archeology which opens at 1 pm today, but the rest will have to wait until I return to Athens from Crete next week. 

Fortunately, the Acropolis Museum (practically across the street) is open today and seems to offer more than enough to keep me busy.

1 comment:

  1. It always takes a minute to figure things out, but it sounds like you are getting the hang of things quickly. I paid attention to your suggestion of an air tag and will definitely invest in that. Funny that it's about the same temp in Memphis as it is in Athens! Unusually chilly.

    ReplyDelete